Thursday, December 16, 2010

Snow Day Happenings

Who says anger isn’t productive? Jeremy and I have spent the last 4 hours cleaning and organizing our room (I feel like a teenager saying “cleaning my room”, but there’s no way around it), and bickering the whole time. We’ve gotten tons done. I don’t know how we’ve managed to fit so much junk into our house... old papers, mismatched socks, obsolete phone chargers. But apparently, however it all managed to find a home and stay there, it’s all my fault. I can’t completely disagree with that accusation, I just don’t like being singled out. It’s not that I’m a hoarder... I just don’t know what to throw away. I don’t know what’s important. So I stick stuff here, or there, and forget about it. Sometimes for as long as up to 3 years, as I found out today.

Now Jeremy is sprawled out on our bedroom floor (since our bed is covered with the innards of our closet) with a sinus migraine. I have to reheat his heat sock every 7 to 10 minutes, or however often a plaintive “Marrrr-yyyyyyy” emits from the vicinity of our room. Now, the heat sock is not an unknown concept in the world of marketing. I’ve seen them everywhere, though not in an actual sock. Ours is an entity all its own. I made it about 4 years ago from an old, bright red softball sock, stuffed with half a box of Uncle Ben’s white rice. We toss it in the microwave for a minute or so and then Jeremy lays down with it over his eyes. I hate that sock. It’s soaked up the odors of various microwaves for 4 years and is covered with lint. I think it smells like old pee. Jeremy disagrees, but I can tell when I walk into the house whether he has a headache or not. I can smell the sock.

I’ve been gorging myself today on Diet Dr. Pepper and Reese’s Bells. I know it’s more of a hot chocolate and muffin kind of day, but I don’t have either. Even if I did, I would probably still stick with the other stuff. I’m ready to put the kids to bed, and sit by the Christmas tree with my iPod and my book. I’ve been busy a lot lately in the evenings, and for this introvert, that’s the emotional equivalent of running the gauntlet with Dr. Phil on live television. I hate how fast December is going by. I want to grab it by its ears- well, actually, I imagine December has reindeer antlers- and make it slow down. I miss being a kid where this month was about nothing but waiting. I love the waiting. And now I don’t get the chance to wait; I have to be ahead.

I’m happy that Ashton’s out of school today, but I’m sad that they canceled his Christmas program as well. He’s upset about all that “hard work for nothin’!”. However, I am glad that I didn’t buy black dress shoes and a tie last night for said program. Sometimes Mom’s intuition (ok, and weather reports....) comes in handy.

What’s happening in your snowy neck of the woods?

1 comment:

  1. I know you might not be a hoarder but, you do come by the 'holding on, just in case' honestly. Your grandfather, mamaw (boxes mainly - just in case needed for gifts); mother & aunt are the same way.
    As for your diet, that too, is another thing the women in our family seem to do. The heck with 'nourishment,' go for the comfort stuff - it's safer for the rest of the family! :8-)
    I'm sorry Ashton's play was canceled - glad you didn't have to buy shoes & tie.

    ReplyDelete