Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Unforgotten


Today marks an anniversary I’d give anything to not be remembering. A year ago today, Jeremy’s best friend died, just 2 weeks before his 27th birthday. The shock, disbelief, grief, and horror of that day in our lives cannot be described. The hoping against hope that it was a sick joke, a misunderstanding, anything other than the truth.

I’ve sat here for 30 minutes, typing and re-typing. Trying to think of what to say. Maybe I’ll just say what I’m actually thinking.

A year has gone by so quickly. This time last year, swallowed in grief, resentment, bewilderment, I felt like we would never heal. This pain has shaped a new facet of Jeremy’s character. In some ways it has made him better, in some ways worse. There are still bad days. I think maybe there always will be.

Tommy had a brilliant smile, a contagious laugh, and a generous heart. He loved. He gave. He served. He honored everyone but himself. But his life changed ours. And his story is changing lives. Through all of this, we have emerged with a purpose: That he not be forgotten. That his voice not be silenced. The honor, value, and love that he could not give himself, that he struggled to receive from others, will be given to him now.

There is so much I could say. So many stories I could tell. Not today. Today I have a message.

If you are feeling alone, or desperate, or keeping silent: You are not alone. We are with you. Speak. We will listen. You have value. You have worth. You have a voice. And like Tommy, you are never, ever forgotten.


If you'd like to see a video Jeremy made in honor of Tommy, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment